Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Childhood pranks are ending up in court

As reported in the Charleston Post an Courier (the link can be found
at http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/nov/11/bad_kidsor_abad_rap21869/), more and more school discipline issues are ending up in law enforcement's hands and getting into the family courts.

Some blame the growing big state views of the education elites. Some educators blame lawyers and lawsuits. Some blame the culture of the times we live in. But, one thing is certain: life in school has changed.

I think of my own childhood. I have only been out of public schools for twenty years. I grew up in a small town, and I had a habit, instilled in me by my father and grandfather of toting a pocket knife at all times, including when I was at school. I never thought to cut someone with it.

However, there are times when a knife, and especially the blunt "screwdriver" end of one of the blades, can come in handy. The can opener blade is pretty useful as well.

God and the public defender be with me I were a student and got caught with a pocket knife today. Years ago I would "show off" my new pocket knife I got for Christmas to some of my classmates and even one of male teachers. Now if a student did such, he would be suspended, arrested, and DSS would be knocking at his parents' door.

If you doubt that, think on the case in West Columbia a couple of years ago. A little girl was suspended and her family faced investigation because the little girl's mother packed a butter knife in the little girls lunch box to cut an apple with. The school officials stated their position of "zero tolerance" of weapons on campus.

Then, and now, so called zero tolerance makes zero sense. There was a time if two young men got into a scuffle, they would get a stern lecture from the principal and some cleanup duty or some laps ran around the football field. Now, those same young men get arrested and have criminal records.

I am not a teacher. But, I did coach youth basketball for five years. Young people, especially those in their early to mid teens, tend to be unsure of themselves. They sometimes act out in stupid ways. They also tend to live up or down to the expectations placed upon them by the adults in their lives. My uncle was a youth coach for years as well, and he taught me the valuable lesson of never telling my youngsters not to make mistakes. He told me that because, "if you tell them not to turn the ball over, they will, they will think about turning the ball over."

If we as a society have an educational system that makes the kid who pulls a prank, gets in a scuffle, or dares to carry a pocket knife feel like a criminal in his most formative years, should we be surprised when he does not achieve in life? Further, if we create a generation of mindless sheep, afraid even to do something such as pull a prank, how can we expect them to compete with the rest of the world who does not live by our wimpy standards?

I know some will say I just don't get it. And, perhaps I don't. You see I went to a high school where students could smoke at lunch in a smoking area if their parents consented. I grew up in a time when moms and dads would be less concerned about Junior if he was caught behind the barn drinking one of dad's beers then if he was caught behind the barn hugging on his buddy Jack.

Forgive me, but there is something wrong with this country when teachers can not break up scuffles and deal with pranks without calling in the cops. Our educational leadership is filled with mind numb people who have went to seminars in which they tell each other how much smarter they are than everyone else and how parents and children must be controlled, even if at a law officer's gunpoint.

And, then we wonder what is wrong with our young people today. I am not saying give youngsters who mess up a pass. When young people mess up, punish them, but don't give them marks on their record that last for life such as arrests. If earlier generations did that, half of the business and political leaders of nation's history would have never made into a college or their first job. This power hungry thing education elites are doing toying with the future of young people's lives just sickens me. To know we are all paying for them to do so sickens me more.

7 comments:

  1. Brian, growing up in an age without Ritalin, without the artifice of ADD, ADHD and an alphabet soup of excuses for another tranche of Federal entitlement manna in the trough, I earned a whittling chip and carried a Cub Scout pocket knife in elementary school, often, in today's parlance, brandishing it, though it was only dangling from the belt of a Scout uniform. I went to high school in days when you could count a number of shotguns in the racks inside the pick up trucks in the parking lot and marksmsnship was a subject covered in phys ed.

    In those days, not one Columbine massacre, prepetrated by two kids on Ritalin with illegally obtained firearms, happened in my home state. The closest thing I can recall was a lone gunman sniping from a clock tower on the campus of a Texas University.

    The outrages have ramped up since a Supreme Court decision descended on the US like an Iron Curtain of secularism, based on the perversion of a quotation of Thomas Jefferson, taken enterely out of context, that promised the Danbury Baptists that laws restricting the establishment AND free practice of religion were and would continue to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL. "That Congress shall pass no laws" is as unabmigious as the fact that the judicial branch is not given legislative powers.

    Frankly, the educracy is establishing an unconstitutional fiefdom and perhaps ought to be gutted, its operation returned to the local level, where, for example, they could decide if transgender sensitivity or English as a second language is a higher priority.

    To the zero tolerance nonsense, how about the letter opener on the principal's desk, the screwdrivers in the janitor's closet or librarian's desk, the butcher knives in the cafeteria, the baseball bats in the phys ed gear. Any of those exist and I'd expect a competent lawyer to toally embarass a school district and a circuit solicitor's office that tried to prosecute the case.

    The nitwittery goes further, under the pretext of pediatrics conducting "home safety surveys" but, in the interest of brevity, I'll leave those to our compadres at Grassroots Gun Rights to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could say this is a sad state of affairs, but instead, I will refrain from commenting until the ever-wise and all-knowing TY comes to share his wisdom and learned insights with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schools had to implement such rules because of intergration.

    The stabbin and the shootin didn't start until then, brothas.

    Now we got the wetbacks comin' in.

    It is only gonna get worse with liberals like you out there.

    Southern Fried

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sudden Fried, in all the crap that flowed around integration that I witnessed, not one shotgun came out of the student parking lot, not one pocket knife slit the throat or gutted another student, even during several acts of "civil disobedience" on school grounds, during school hours. Maybe it was the fact that we were still "out in the sticks", though Lower Richland really wasn't, maybe it was the fact that most of us were in Church on Sunday mornings.

    As to yella dogs callin names and changing the initial from D ro R, we have them to thank for the stagnation that breeds a festering fever swamp of the NEA, NAACP, La Raza, Moveon.org and the ACLU that looks too much like the declining Roman empire. Add tne MSM to the flora and fauna symbiotically propagating that fetid environment, as the lyric goes, "we love it when people die , give us dirty laundry"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Southern Fried, I am shocked that you would bring race into this. LOL.

    West Rhino, great comments. The only thing I would point out is that you quoted Don Henly. Don't get me wrong, I love his music. But, I am afraid he is probably a member of some of the groups you listed.

    He did pen "Get over It," though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, West Rhino, going to rural high school in the mid 1980s, it was often accepted for some of the boys to be late after finishing up hunting in the early am.

    I remember the gun racks, as well.

    I was more of a fisherman than a hunter, but I certainly did not think anything of the guys who had their guns in their trucks because they either came from hunting or were going hunting after school.

    Now, the department of Homeland Security would be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crackers had no problem going after the Jenna 6. You upset some cracker got in trouble?

    Cracker, please.

    Ty

    ReplyDelete