Cybernet News Network is reporting that Muslim Americans for Obama 08 and other pages related to the Obama campaign's website are stirring some controversy. You can read the article at http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200802/NAT20080225a.html.
The websites appear to be encouraged by the Obama campaign. They seem integrated well with the main Obama website. I don't know whether or not the website is truly pro Obama or is ran by his opponents who took advantage of the Obama website's features.
The website that gave me some pause was Muslim Americans for Obama 08. Among the issues that they contend should and will be addressed under Barak Obama's presidency reads as follows:
ISSUES & SOLUTIONS
QUESTION: What are issues and recommendations for solutions that are unique to Muslim Americans?
1. A Law against harrassment of a Muslim women wearing Hijab at the Airport, DMV and other public arenas.
2. Institute a Law to allow Muslim Employees to take a hours off from work for Friday Jummah Prayer.
3. Make the 2 Eid's, recognized National Holidays on Calendars with days off from work.
4. Optional Halal meals in federal buildiings, public schools and colleges.
5. Provide prayer areas suitable for Salah and Jummah, in public and private facilities. (i.e. Malls, Airports, Universities and government buildings.)
6. Organize a Muslim American group to assist in recommendations for US foreign policy affecting majority Muslim countries.
If the above issues are being contended by sincere advocates for Obama then we have a good idea of the direction the United States culture will be headed under an Obama presidency. There will be strong contentions by Muslim American supporters of Obama for his administration to circumvent the constitution to enact changes in United States law and culture.
If you doubt that, take the time to take a look what is going on in western Europe. An example that stands out is found in the case of Fortis Bank, which serves the Netherlands and Belgium. Fortis Bank is stopping its policy of giving a mascot piggy bank to children, supposedly out of not wanting to offend Muslims. Throughout Europe, the once free and open cultures face increasing pressures to censor art, political commentaries, and shift cultural norms in order to not offend Muslims.
Is the road the United States will head down in the next four years?