Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How right wingers can help elect Obama

If John McCain picks one of the security gurus on his short list, Tom Ridge or Joe Lieberman, there is widespread talk of folks on the Right going into open rebellion due to the abortion issue.

I am staunchly pro-life, without apology. I will vote for John McCain for President if he picks a pro-choice running mate without apology. Why? I do not want the very security of the United States handed over to Barack Obama. I also recognize that a lot of people who are smarter than me and who probably act more morally correct than I do disagree with me on abortion.

While I think that abortion, especially for the purpose of birth control, is one of the most morally reprehensible acts that one can do, I realize I live in the real world. In the real world, people disagree and they have to be persuaded. Litmus tests in times of great political peril to the Republican party and the common sense that its candidate shows on so many issues is plain dumb.

Suppose pro-lifers like me stay home and do not vote for John McCain because of his running mate in November. Barack Obama will be elected. How in the world does that help the pro-life movement?

John McCain is the Presidential candidate. He has a proven pro-life record. If McCain chooses a running mate with a differing view, we should not punish the unborn by insuring the election of a ticket who will work hard everyday against them.

Neither Ridge or Lieberman are pro choice activists. They simply acted the way they had to in the political environments they were in. That is not true of Obama. If abortion is the issue that matters to you most, know staying home over McCain's pick will give the keys to the White House to a man who is surrounded by pro abortion activists, not a running mate who simply concentrates on other issues he deems more important.

Think. Use that brain God gave you. There is so much more at stake than just one issue in 2008.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, there is more than one issue at stake, that's why this pro-lifer is voting for Obama

    ReplyDelete