Sunday, May 17, 2009

BHP Plus 20

After attending my 20 year high school reunion on Saturday night, I got to thinking about life and how it changes us and how it sometimes stays the same. By and large, most of the people I met again at the reunion were friendly and I enjoyed their company. I had a good time. It was also refreshing to see people who are my age with less grey in their beard. Like in any group, there were a couple of malcontents, but that did not stop me and the rest from having a great time fellowshipping with old classmates.

What really struck me is how life hits us all pretty hard. Whether classmates ended up in jail or in positions or power and prestige, one thing is constant, time changes us all. There were women there as pretty as they were as high school girls. There were guys there who were once great athletes but now carry 300 pounds. A good many were like me, nothing personality wise like I was when I was that eighteen year old kid who took that diploma.

But, the thing that really struck me is how, no matter what life threw at them, the people of the BHP Class of 1989 have turned out to be good people by and large. They raise their families. They work hard at their jobs. They give to their communities. In short, the vast majority of my old class are good people who live and work hard and who are nice and courteous in conversation today.

Now, in the twenty years since I took that diploma at BHP, I have been through a lot. There have been good things and there have been bad things. I saw and done things I am both proud of and not proud of. I suppose my life is defined more on the twenty years since BHP then my years in the BHP school system.

But, after spending an evening with my classmates, I have never been more proud to be a BHP graduate. I have written about all the living rooms I had been in South Carolina and about what I think about the people of South Carolina. Those old classmates are among the best. It was a pleasure to spend an evening with them. Like any group, the class of 89 has a few nutcases and bad folks. But, by and large, the Class of 1989 of BHP is a class I am proud to call myself a member of.

21 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2009

    Just who are you calling a nutcase? I think you are the nutcase. Wearing a sports coat to a reunion. You think that was going to make us thing you are something?

    You are an arrogant ass with your blog, your lawyer job, and your uppity BHP buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George JeffersonMay 17, 2009

    Hey, how many wives of other men did you hit on? I know you hit on mine all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belton RulesMay 17, 2009

    No one from Honea Path should have been allowed to be at such an event. Honea Path is filled with knuckle dragging morons who live off welfare.

    Belton rules always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 17, 2009

    Brian hit on my wife and it pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading these comments, I have to say again to you Brian, move. You tried to compliment people. But, read this shit. Wow.

    There is not shame in calling them a bunch of crazy drugged out people who live in their on dream worlds.

    I know you moved there for family. But, come on back to Columbia man. Tell these people to kiss your ass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. working momMay 17, 2009

    Hey, why are you not dead yet? We keep waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously you didn't hit on Working Mom. I think she needs a little lovin', and apparently she's not interested in Obama Man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutcase 1May 17, 2009

    Sure wish I knew who working mom is ----- I like her statements every time I read a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 17, 2009

    Someone being malcontent with you isn't necessarily malcontent in general, they just see you for the arrongant ass you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enough with the death and dying stuff, working mom. Same for you nutcase 1. I let those go up on the board, but from now on they will not be let up. This is not a soap opera blog.

    If have that big of an issue with me, email me privately at rbmccarty@gmail.com.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave:

    Honea Path is a great place to live. I am proud to live here.

    I know one of the comments were made from someone who is not from Honea Path and was not in my high school class.

    I think the wife hitting thing was meant to be a joke. I kind of got an idea of who that is and their not on drugs. The Belton comment I think was a joke.

    The other comments, well, they were made people who wouldn't like me wherever I live. That happens when you put your comments out there. Maybe its the arrogant ass in me that does not get angry back or worry about it much.

    Don't blame it on Honea Path.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Good seeing you Brian. Don't know who is so pissed at you. Don't care. You were nice to me and my wife. If complimenting a wife is hitting on them, you are guilty of that.

    Forgive me for not signing this, but I don't want any "nutcases" to deal with. I will email you privately with some details about some things said outside of your earshot.

    Go Bears.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Brian, this was a positive post about BHP. Good for you for taking pride in your old school.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I told you that some people had no balls. I told you that if you wrote about the reunion, they would go nuts.

    I hate being right. Ignore the cowards and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Brian, I enjoyed your company on Saturday night. I don't know or what to know why so others sort of hate on you.

    You were nice to me and my wife and still funny as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Thanks for the laughs. Forgive me for not leaving my name, but like others, I do not want the "nutcases" after me.

    It was great to see you. Some people have some problems you do not have to deal with. Enough said.

    I laughed my ass off at your Clinton thing. Enjoyed it. Enjoyed seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. working momMay 18, 2009

    Brian McCarty is an arrogant ass. How many times do I have to say that?

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Write about other things. Do not ever, ever, ever, write about BHP. Those folks are just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brian, some people haven't been raised with manners.

    Don't let it get you down.

    ReplyDelete