Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Boys of Saluda and beyond

Perhaps we forget about what Memorial Day is all about. With the big races and the barbecues, it is easy to forget what the holiday is really about. It is about my grandfather’s brother, Sgt. Ira J. “Pete” McCarty, a tank gunner who died in the closing days of World War II in Germany. Pete was one of those Boys of Saluda whose name marks a monument on the Saluda Courthouse grounds that honors the farm boys who gave up their lives, their sweethearts and their dreams for the rest of us. My grandfather served honorably in the United States Navy, and went on to live without his dear brother.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, the war for our freedom continues. Each and every day, some boy of Saluda gives, regardless of where he is from, the full dedication for the rest us. Every soldier lost is a boy of Saluda. Take a moment to think of those boys of Saluda and the boys of your hometown who gave the full measure of devotion to us all. That is what Memorial Day is really all about.

I have had the high honor to attend a dear friend’s funeral at Arlington. But, the deepest of chills are felt when I read those names of the Boys of Saluda on that courthouse yard monument. I think of the lives those young men could have had. I think of the dreams they had. I think of their sweethearts waiting for them in vain. I read out loud the names and I think of the debt we all owe those Boys of Saluda for the very freedoms we enjoy.

God bless the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. God bless the souls of those who have given this nation the full measure of devotion. May we all realize and appreciate the sacrifice of those like the Boys of Saluda and beyond. That is what Memorial Day is all about.


\

8 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 24, 2009

    Mr. McCarty, I do not care for you views normally. But, I have to admit, this left a lump in my throat. Man, you made me think about the price we pay for freedom. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 24, 2009

    wow. good stuff, brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obama ManMay 25, 2009

    Just because crackers talk brothas into dying ain't a reason to celebrate. I fell sorry for the stupid brothas who think the cracker military is a way to make their lives better.

    To hell with this cracker shit about Memorial Day. When is your cracker ass gonna honor all the slaves that died?

    My President is going to put an end to this bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Obama Man, think on this. Those stupid people died so you could act a fool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working MomMay 25, 2009

    Obama Man is wrong about our great servicemen and service women, but he is not wrong about Brian McCarty. Brian McCarty always has some sort of patriotic bullshit to spread around to cover up the ass he is and how is really just out for himself. I am so sick of people telling me what a good guy he is! He has you all fooled.

    I block my children from this website. It is an insult to the men and women who died for this country that Brian McCarty even talks about them.

    Can't you people see what an ass Brian McCarty is and how he manipulates people and words for his own gain?

    Brian, I pray for you. But, God is on my side and he will not tolerate you much longer. You can not mock God or those He protects. You are not John Wayne. You are not a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Working Mom, you need to get a life. Get over it. Just don't read this blog if it bothers you so.

    Brian, good post. Gee, you do deal with some nuts on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't hate, appreciate

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Working mom, maybe you should call the pharmacy and get your meds today. Please!

    Also, maybe you should spend a little more time with your kids, rather than getting on this blog and other blogs.

    Never mind, they are probably better off without your influence.

    ReplyDelete